UNIX Systems Administrator
Descartes (TSX:DSG) (Nasdaq:DSGX) is the global leader in providing on-demand, software-as-a-service solutions focused on improving the productivity, performance and security of logistics-intensive businesses. Descartes has over 147,000 parties using its cloud based services. Customers use our modular, software-as-a-service solutions to route, schedule, track and measure delivery resources; plan, allocate and execute shipments; rate, audit and pay transportation invoices; file customs and security documents for imports and exports; and complete numerous other logistics processes by participating in the world's largest, collaborative multimodal logistics community. Our headquarters are in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada and we have offices and partners around the world. Learn more at www.descartes.com.
Are you looking for an opportunity to work for a dynamic, growing organization? We are looking for an individual to join our team and be part of the excitement and growth at The Descartes Systems Group Inc.! We are currently seeking a UNIX Systems Administrator to join our IT Operations Team.
Your responsibilities are situated in the following domains:
- Responsible, as a member of the team, for customer-facing applications in a 24/7 environment.
- Design, implementation, maintenance, documentation and support of production systems and services.
- Automate tasks and processes in Bash, Perl or other high-level languages.
- Set-up, configure and troubleshoot web services such as Tomcat and Apache.
- Work closely with Operations, Engineering, Development and other service delivery departments.
- College diploma or university degree in computer science or equivalent.
- Three years of hands-on, verifiable UNIX experience.
- Experience setting up and maintaining modern Linux services, Linux clustering technologies and MySQL databases.
- Hands-on experience with Tomcat-based web services.
- Hands-on experience with standard UNIX services such as DNS, HTTP(S), SSH, SMTP, NTP, etc.
- Ability to set up and maintain FTP and SMB connections.
- Experience creating and maintaining small Perl scripts.
- Good understanding of security functions (proxies, firewalls, encryption and certificates).
- Understanding of Puppet deployment and Zabbix monitoring tools.
- Certification(s) for UNIX type environments would be an asset.
- Understanding of EDI and XML processes would be an asset.
- Customer service-oriented and solution driven.
- Excellent and proven verbal and written communication and consensus-building skills.
- Excellent project/task management skills.
- Ability to effectively handle multiple concurrent projects and/or tasks.
- Must be able to work in a team setting.
- Must be able to participate in rotating on-call shifts.
- Superior problem-solving skills.
- Responsible and accountable for the work we do as a team.
We offer a flexible and casual work environment, as well as mentorship and on-the-job training to support your personal growth. You will have an opportunity to contribute new ideas and we welcome your fresh perspective.
Please submit your resume, and a covering letter describing why you are a unique fit for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org citing “UNIX Systems Administrator” in the subject of your message. We thank all applicants for their interest in Descartes; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Agency calls will not be accepted.