To Manage Hours of Service (HOS) Compliance, IFTA, Electronic Driver Logs and Fleet Safety
Key industry challenges for operators of commercial fleets, whether private or for-hire, include:
- Reducing high operating costs driven by rising fuel, equipment purchases and maintenance, labor and overtime expenses
- Finding innovative ways to leverage existing operations to improve service and drive growth
- Meeting complex and constantly evolving federal and state compliance standards and reporting
- Monitoring and measuring driver behavior (through scorecard methodology) to reduce costs and avoid costly insurance claims
The Descartes Telematics and Compliance™ solution helps meet these challenges and brings together innovative technologies for vehicle and mobile workforce tracking, telemetry intelligence, reporting and analytics for logistics-intensive businesses around the world. Our offering is unique in the marketplace in that it can provide fully integrated telematics and compliance functionality with optimized route planning and robust real-time dispatch, scheduling and reporting.
Features of Descartes Telematics Solution
Telematics and Compliance On-Board Unit:
A low cost, simple plug and play device with advanced and extremely reliable GPS technology. It includes intelligent in-vehicle driver coaching, vehicle diagnostics, detailed data recording, comprehensive driver behavior monitoring. The device is expandable and compatible with most vehicles. Meets the requirements of the Hours of Service (HOS) and electronic driver log rules.
Multifunctional, user-friendly interface allowing your planners to quickly choose different views, work on multiple screens, and use drag-and-drop functionality to manage all their mobile resource scheduling requirements.
Hours of Service and Electronic Driver Logs:
Collect data required to properly log and report on Hours of-Service and electronic driver log rules.
One of the most comprehensive telemetry suites on the market that offers:
- Data Logger - Functions as an on-board black box, recording all engine and vehicle telemetry data. All data is combined with time and location stamps and linked to the driver’s ID, providing a clear record of vehicle status and driver actions in cases of accidents, customer complaints or other liability charges.
- Temperature and Door Sensors - Enables operators to accurately monitor cargo environment conditions during transportation and immediately detect temperature variations or door opening events. Utilization of multiple temperature sensors allows for effective diagnosing of cooling compartment inefficiencies enabling service quality improvements.
- On-site Assets - Comprehensive sensory coverage of engines, motors and hydraulic systems with detailed utilization reporting and analysis capabilities. Real-time alert notifications are generated whenever your assets cross geo-fences enabling instant theft detection, while different sensors allow you to easily detect unauthorized use, fuel theft and machinery malfunctions.
Safety and Security:
Proactively manage safety and security issues with:
- Panic (SOS) Button - Discretely placed button is available for driver to notify dispatcher of an emergency.
- Vehicle Track and Trace – know where your vehicles are located at all times.
- Driver's Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR) - helps customers to better manage the required, yet often painstaking and time-consuming, process of daily vehicle inspection and reporting
- Driver Scoring - Monitor for aggressive driving. Alerts and visual scorecards can show acceleration, speeding violations, hard breaking, or aggressive maneuvers.
- Unauthorized Use of Vehicles – Unauthorized use of vehicles can be prevented through Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) driver registration; whenever vehicle is started, by a non-authorized person, an alert is triggered.
- Unauthorized Use of Fuel Card – third-party integration for fuel cards to detect fuel theft (gas was pumped when the vehicle was not at the pump).
- Communication – Enables hands-free and quick messaging to promote safer driving.
3rd Party In-vehicle Device Integration:
Productivity to provide streamlined connections to/from external third-party or industry-specialized devices. Integration with communication technologies allows the use of: Bluetooth™ hands-free headsets; cell phones; tablets; wireless barcode readers; and electronic signature capture. Additional devices include open-door sensors, passenger counting sensors, fuel theft detection and internal/external displays.
Detailed Expense Management:
Fully-automated import capabilities for transactions from various sources such as: fuel and toll payment systems, credit/debit cards, or company accounting/ERP systems. Costs can be tracked by vehicle, driver or time period, etc. Comprehensive fuel consumption and maintenance monitoring tools are easily integrated into legacy systems, allowing for decisions based on performance comparison reports.
A customizable feature alerting users about specific events or exceptions, which are vital for day-to-day operations or critical situations. Notifications include SOS, driver status change, cost (such as monitoring fuel filling to alert users about the vehicle performance) and sensor-related events like engine trouble, door open, fuel tank cap, temperature exceptions, or geofence/keep out area penetrations. Event notifications are presented with all relevant information about the event (including cause, time, location or driver) enabling companies to make intelligent decisions on proactive and reactive basis.
Utilize real-time transfer of data to provide accurate source of driver and vehicle information (fuel usage, speed, oil pressure, engine temperature, door sensors, etc.). Data can be archived and accessed later using the fleet management portal, enabling detailed fuel consumption, vehicle telemetry, and driver behavior analyses. Predictive maintenance capability utilizes the vehicle Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) to predict possible future vehicle malfunctions allowing technicians to take action before they occur.
Benefit from more comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge that can be used for long-term strategic decision making. Combined with data mining capabilities and extensive reporting features, business intelligence represents an ideal analytical framework for identifying areas requiring improvement.
Monitor and electronically control idle time to comply with company policies and city idling ordinances.
International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) Mileage Recording:
Accurately captures and reports the miles run in each state for filing fuel taxes.
Customer Success - New World Bus Wins “Best Public Service Application Grand Award” and “Best Public Service Application (Transformation) Gold Award”
As a service organization, our success can only be measured by the successes of our customers and partners. That is why we are thrilled to share the recent success of Descartes’ telematics customer New World First Bus and Citybus, who has been presented with the Technology Innovation Awards, “Best Public Service Application Grand Award” and “Best Public Service Application (Transformation) Gold Award” in the Hong Kong ICT Awards 2013.