How Load Planning Software Can Conquer LTL Shipping Challenges
Managing LTL services has become increasingly challenging and complex for today’s carriers. As customer demands grow and costs escalate, the key to success is finding new and better ways to drive efficiencies into delivery cycles.
Descartes offers a suite of logistics management solutions that are offered as an on-demand, pay-as-you go model, or as traditional, installed applications. With Descartes, customers can realize the benefits of applications providing real-time delivery data in order to improve routing, optimization and overall customer service.
Descartes has been delivering a variety of solutions to LTL carriers for more than a decade – from basic messaging services to complete inbound planning and optimization capabilities. Customers rely on Descartes as their single source provider of visibility, optimization and compliance capabilities across multiple operational areas.
Load Planning Software Reduces LTL Shipping Complexities
ComplexityLTL carriers face a growing barrage of requirements from and interactions with many sources – from shippers to government agencies to receivers. Many also work with multiple other LTLcarriers to address different operational areas. Managing shipments across carriers becomes increasingly complex and as a result overall efficiency may suffer.
VisibilityThe complexity of juggling multiple shipments and routes is hampered by the inability to access real-time information on fleet activities. Few operators have the level of insight needed to optimize resources, maximize truck utilization and monitor overall performance.
Customs ClearanceLTL carriers must keep pace with ever-changing cross-border filing requirements. Any errors or omissions can delay shipments, increase transportation costs, and affect quality of service.
CostEscalating labor, fuel and maintenance costs continue to have a significant impact on bottom line results for LTL carriers. Many carriers are finding themselves hard pressed to maintain margins without sacrificing quality of service.
Features and Benefits of Descartes LTL Software
- Inbound/outbound planning
- Freight forwarding and logistics planning
- Tracking, tracing and monitoring of regional and geographically dispersed shipments
- Fleet management - routing, scheduling, optimization and dispatch
- Real-time event management
- Messaging via Descartes Global Logistics Network (GLN) to connect the carrier’s customers and partners to exchange Load Tenders, Bills of Lading, status messages and invoices in any electronic format
- Customs compliance and forms processing
- GPS-enabled tracking and reporting of shipments
- Hosted TMS (Transportation Management System)
- Order management and address verification
- Route optimization
- Dispatch management and planning
- Order notification and confirmation
- Real-time tracking and field data capture
- Business analysis and reporting
- Geocoding and routing
- On-demand, Web-based access to data