Route planning software for mobile resource management, route optimization, & real-time visibility for your delivery operations.
Descartes Route Planning Software enables you to reduce delivery time windows, address exceptions on the road, plan routes more efficiently and respond to customer changes on the fly. The suite includes:
- Descartes Area Planner™ is a route planning solution that has been specifically designed for small package, less than truckload (LTL) carriers and couriers to help them improve pick-up and delivery productivity and dramatically lower their costs, without having to implement drastic changes to daily vehicle routing activities. Developed in conjunction with one of the world’s leading small package carriers, Descartes Area Planner combines advanced planning features with mobile GPS vehicle tracking technology, so that LTL operators and couriers can “right size” their fleets and determine operational requirements. Descartes Area Planner is made up of two main components:
- Route Plan – This component works with available data to establish parameters and shift times for defining daily deliveries, scheduled stops and routing. The output provides an outline of deliver/pick-up stops or sequences with geographic representation of the vehicle path.
- Dataset Management – This component collects historical, theoretical and actual data sets on drivers, stops, locations, area metrics, time commitments and volumes to allow users to improve route planning, analysis and reporting. This data feeds the Route Planning function.
Descartes Reservations™ is a web-based solution for setting appointments and scheduling deliveries that allows customers to request delivery windows, while an optimized appointment booking agent matches available resources and delivery windows. Descartes Reservations facilitates online scheduling of pick-ups and deliveries – either self-service or as a decision support tool for customer service agents. It helps companies effectively tailor service to the demands of key customers while achieving internal profitability goals. An effective capable-to-promise engine, it also confirms that requests can be met and locks the appointment. Features include:
- Ability to analyze requests for delivery or order by order to consider the delivery schedule and present options for the delivery appointment window.
- Ability to evaluate the assignment of shipping windows, including profitability of the account and/or order, availability of the time slot in reference to other orders, and other customized business rules.
- Enables configuration options to restrict costly delivery options, while offering incentives for more beneficial delivery time windows. Allows users to reserve preferred shipping windows for the most profitable customers, and automatically close off time slots to those of lower priority.
- Descartes Route Planner™ fleet routing solution incrementally builds delivery schedules and vehicle routing plans. As each new order is received, the vehicle route planning schedule is regenerated in real time to reallocate mobile fleet resources to optimize operating efficiencies, deliver priority service to the most profitable accounts and routes, and maintain overall customer service objectives. Descartes route planning solution is a web-based GPS fleet tracking application that helps improve operational efficiency through better route scheduling. It is designed to easily integrate with existing order management or transportation management systems. It helps companies reduce operating costs, which can minimize total route distances and average miles between stops.
- Descartes Route Planner On-demand™ provides an easy and affordable way to plan, optimize, dispatch routes, track and monitor delivery fleets in real time. This on-demand fleet management solution combines sophisticated functionality with the simplicity of service delivery built to run on the Web. It optimizes both static routes and dynamic routes to maximize efficiency by taking into account geographic zones, time windows and other physical constraints when planning delivery fleets. Route Planner On-demand is comprised of a number of full-featured web-based modules that are distinct in their functionality and operate independently, yet work together seamlessly to create an end-to-end route planning solution including:
- Order Management enables the automatic transfer of electronic data into the web-based Descartes route planning solution. Intelligent filters improve data integrity and solve problems such as bad addresses while flagging incomplete data for operators to correct.
- The sophisticated and powerful route planning software geocodes addresses, while a constraint-based engine sequences and optimizes delivery routes with street-level digital maps, estimated times of arrival (ETAs) and sequenced stops based on constraints and economics.
- Dispatch Management enables dispatchers can access and modify routing plans in real time, while drivers gain visibility into all routes through a mobile phone or other web-enabled device.
- Order notification functionality allows users to be automatically notified of scheduled or adjusted delivery times via e-mail, web, SMS, or phone call. Customers have real-time visibility into their specific delivery route for ETA, delivery window, and to cancel, accept or modify an order.
- Real-time tracking and field data capture using any wireless web device providing a variety of data including mileage, productivity tracking, timecards, exception handling, onboard inventory, package tracking, temperature, signatures, etc.
- Real-time visibility into the delivery status of every order improves service by allowing for proactive issue resolution, managing customer expectations and ensuring delivery windows meet customer needs.
- Business intelligence module simplifies the decision-making process by providing extensive reports on your delivery operations.
- Descartes Sales & Territory Planner™ evaluates geographic distribution and sales potential for each customer to establish optimal territory and route definitions. Factors considered include minimizing travel time and related costs and balancing opportunities across members of the sales team. Descartes Sales & Territory Planner can help improve the efficiency, visibility and service levels of your routing plans for mobile resources, including:
- Displays territories, routes and customer locations in full-color, street-level maps with associated cost implications. Provides views for metrics for revenues, standard products, package sizes and territories, etc.
- Facilitates assessment and allocation of sales resources needed to support new business and new markets.
- Can be configured to restrict costly delivery options, while offering incentives for more beneficial appointment time slots. Enables the reservation of preferred shipping windows for the most profitable customers, automatically closing off time slots to those of lower priority.
- Employs an extensive digital road network to support street-level optimization and turn-by-turn directions. Provides more accurate drive-time calculations than traditional point-to-point estimates. Considers weather and traffic-related conditions.