Transportation Planning & Execution
Transportation Planning System for Load Planning and Scheduling. Inbound Transportation Planning Software.
Descartes offers solid optimized planning, consolidation and tendering capabilities based upon over 25 years of proven experience. Descartes has used this expertise to develop our proprietary multi-stop, aggregation, and pooling optimization functionality to help you determine the right consolidation options to reduce freight spend while meeting service requirements. Our fast and efficient planning algorithms in our software take minutes, not hours, to run, keeping your logistics operations focused on keeping the warehouse picking and the freight moving. Using a settings-based approach, optimization and consolidation configuration are straightforward to understand and adjust. In addition, because of its integration to the Descartes Global Logistics Network™ (Descartes GLN™), the connectivity to carriers and trading partners required to electronically execute shipments can be readily available through pre-existing network connections.
Descartes supply chain solutions address specific planning and benefit driven execution capabilities across modes:
- Load Planning/Consolidation: Load planning is the process by which shipments are turned into larger loads. With Descartes users can combine shipments for efficiency and cost savings with the ability to manually create loads, or to use the system’s aggregation and routing algorithms to automatically create optimized shipment combinations.
- Carrier Selection: Carrier selection is a critical part of the transportation management compliance process. The automated carrier selection capability within Descartes’ decision engine can quickly assesses a range of user-established decision criteria, such as contractual obligations, shipping lanes, shipment priority, cost and carrier past performance and evaluates how to best convey the shipment. Descartes tracks when planners deviate from the system selected carriers and provides historical analysis of the extra costs incurred to curtail “maverick” transportation spending.
- Carrier Connectivity: Electronic connectivity to carriers is a key driver in helping to facilitate effective plan execution. This is where reality meets the plan in terms of achieving desired costs savings and services levels. Effective collaboration with carriers is essential to streamlining the end-to-end transportation management process and ensuring carriers and other logistics intermediaries meet the service levels your organization demands. The Descartes GLN™ enables users to connect and collaborate with “high tech”, “low tech”, and “no tech” carriers and logistics services providers for the tender through proof of delivery execution process. Because many of the carriers that your organization uses today are members of the Descartes GLN, we can reduce your implementation costs and accelerate the rollout of your transportation management solution to your carriers and logistics partners.
- Tendering & Booking: Electronically offering a load to a carrier and efficiently managing their response is a key element of effective transportation execution. With Descartes, tenders can be communicated to the carrier via the Descartes GLN through automated electronic methods including auto-faxing, e-mails (text or HTML), XML and EDI; hybrid electronic methods via the user interface or booking portal; or manual methods including telephone and fax.
- Documentation: Shipment documentation is a core component of the logistics process. Some of the shipment documents supported by Descartes include but are not limited to:
- Truck: Bill of Lading (BOL), Master Bill of Lading (MBOL)
- Air: Airway Bill (AWB), House Way Bill (HWB)
- Ocean: Bill of Lading (BOL)
- Parcel: Carrier compliant parcel labels
- Tracking & Proof of Delivery (POD): By enabling the systematic sharing of data such as advanced shipment notices, booking confirmations, carrier statuses, proof of delivery and more using electronic messages via the Descartes GLN, Descartes empowers effective monitoring and performance management of the shipment process.