Definition of Same-Day Optimization
Same-day optimization is the dynamic delivery appointment booking and execution of intra-day ad-hoc orders through intelligent automated selection of the most cost-effective resource while using time-definite delivery windows.
Same-Day Optimization for Fleets
Same-day optimization combines dynamic delivery appointment scheduling with the real-time GPS-based status of vehicles in the field. It allows customers to take in new orders during the day, and automatically dispatch them for delivery or service that same day. Same-Day Optimization dynamically schedules appointments on the plan or live dispatch schedule, using GPS-based location and other real-time information to optimize the fleet utilization in conjunction with the customer delivery window requirements.
Real time data that is included in the optimization include:
- Fleet capacity, order picking time, planned routes, product attributes, equipment type, driver
- Actual vehicle location
- Actual route status – which routes are running on time, which are behind, product availability on truck
- Multiple order pick-up options
- Traffic history
- Service times at planned stops
- Delivery windows
- Overtime and surge resource options
Same-Day Optimization intelligently manages changes to routes so that new orders don’t cause disruptive changes such as redirecting the driver to a new stop when they are about to deliver to an already planned delivery. Same-Day Optimization provides options to control how many stops ahead are shared with the driver and how many stops ahead are locked to minimize driver disruptions All the updates and changes to the route, stops, and service activities are available real time to the drivers on their handheld device.
The benefits of Same-Day Optimization:
- Offer time-definite same-day delivery
- Improve same-day delivery productivity
- Reduce delivery costs
- Take orders with later cut-off times
- Provide more dynamic or premium delivery service options
- Make delivery a competitive weapon