The Westfield Group is the largest retail property group in the world with interests in an investment portfolio of 119 shopping centers in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States, valued in excess of $58.2 billion. The centers are located in prime trade areas, anchored by long-term tenancies with major retailers and incorporating a wide cross-section of high-quality specialty retailers and national chain store operators.
Westfield Sydney had several inbound logistics issues associated with their new state of the art retail development in the heart of CBD Sydney Australia. Part of the design of this facility was a single access point into and out of the facility into one of Sydney’s busiest streets for all retail deliveries. For the site to operate efficiently, this delivery point needed to handle over 2,000 deliveries per week and provide access to key information to a range of stakeholders such as carriers, retailers and Westfield management. In addition, the site’s unique CBD location provided serious transportation congestion and security issues that also needed to be addressed.
Descartes Re-Seller – Bestrane, implemented Descartes Dock Appointment Scheduling™ together with the Bestranes MobileDock™ solution. The solution armed Westfield Sydney with the ability to provide its tenants with an efficient inbound supply chain management solution including end-to-end visibility, functionality, tracking and reporting together with vastly improved security with a minimum of manual intervention.
The project moved Westfield from a manual, disconnected process to a cloud-based system that provided visibility, control and measurement across all parties within the supply chain.
- Reduced congestion by streamlining delivery access and dock appointment scheduling
- Significant reduction in delivery vehicle idle times
- Increased control of arrival times of deliveries and expected volumes
- Reduced emissions and reduction of dock dwell time
- Ability to track history of dock operations
- Ability to track & analyze carrier and dock performance
- Over 90% of dock appointment bookings are made and approved automatically via the web with no interaction required from dock management or Westfield
- Traffic and delivery congestion has been eliminated from the site
- Average of 380-400+ unique dock appointment bookings per day
- Average driver/vehicle dwell time on site decreased from 44mins to 25mins
- Unauthorized vehicles are being identified before entry to the Westfield site
- Retailers have insight into stock delivery schedules