Meet Current Global Trade Compliance Mandates with our Leading Import Control System (ICS) Solution
The global supply chain faces new challenges with the European Union’s (EU’s) focus on creating a single customs interface and approach for its current 27 member states. The most recent security legislation, the Import Control System (ICS), is similar to the international initiatives in advanced manifest filing in that it requires advanced shipment notification to customs authorities prior to goods arrival in the EU in the form of an entry summary declaration (ENS). As of January 1, 2011, the burden of supplying advanced shipment information for products en route to the EU, or going to other destinations via the EU, rests with the carriers.
A critical challenge faced by carriers is having access to accurate data on a timely basis. In certain cases, carriers only have partial data, and rely on importers, exporters and freight forwarders to supply the missing pieces such as authorized economic operator (AEO) status, commodity and dangerous goods codes, consignors, contents, methods of payment, etc. The complexity of the information required, combined with the fact that each EU country uses different data formats and communication protocols, may make it challenging for operations to meet ICS requirements in a timely and efficient manner. As a result, they run the potential risk of delays and penalties. Descartes Import Control System™ can help carriers overcome the complexity of ICS compliance by providing a single point of access to manage ICS filings according to specific EU member states’ requirements.
The Descartes Import Control System leverages the power of the Descartes Global Logistics Network™ (Descartes GLN™), enabling carriers to electronically connect with brokers, shippers and regulatory authorities around the world through a single portal, without having to worry about data formats or specific member state requirements. The Descartes Import Control System integrates with a wide range of solutions that prepare organizations, around the world, to meet current global trade compliance mandates.
- Descartes GLN – This enables increased supply chain visibility and as well data mapping tools, while supporting industry standards on information exchange for improved data quality and integration
- Single Electronic Access Point – Automatically manages data formatting to government standards, information distribution/routing and compliance
- Standard and Consistent User Interface – Reduces training requirements while improving accuracy and efficiency
- Comprehensive Data Validation – Mitigates data errors and delays related to inaccurate or missing data
- Collaborative Data Collection – Provides a flexible environment for multiple trading partners
- Standard Structured Messaging – Accepts complete and incomplete data from operational applications using a variety of business documents
- Advanced Alerting and Events Management – Notifies users of missing or erroneous data early in the supply chain cycle to reduce the risk of delays, as well as alerting parties of impending timelines
- Lights Out Integration – Improves data integrity and reduces data entry requirements for faster turnaround
- Business Rule Engine – Determines required filings and where data can be reused for multiple filing requirements, as well as the completeness of filings upon receipt
- Centralized Data Store – Centralizes all filings and compliance agency responses to enable comprehensive audit and reporting capabilities
- User-defined Dashboard – Supports operational exception management
- Global Filing Reporting – Includes archived filing documents, status messaging and complete transaction audit
- Role-based Access Control – Ensures data integrity and security