Descartes Dock Appointment Scheduling™ Software
Dock appointment scheduling software optimizes receiving operations for inbound shipments to a warehouse by using dock appointment scheduling.
Descartes Dock Appointment Scheduling™ is a collaborative solution that enables shippers, carriers and consignees to schedule dock door appointments. It streamlines the dock appointment process by distributing the responsibility for scheduling from the warehouse to carriers and suppliers. By ensuring all supply chain partners are involved in the process and have visibility into requested, scheduled and rescheduled dock appointments, this solution optimizes receiving operations for inbound shipments to a warehouse.
By leveraging the power of the Descartes Global Logistics Network™ (Descartes GLN™), Descartes Dock Appointment Scheduling enables organizations to connect electronically with thousands of shippers and carriers around the world and includes:
- Carriers and vendors can book dock appointments over the web, and monitor the status in real time. The system pre-populates and validates an appointment web form with order and shipment details to simplify appointment scheduling. Inbound coordinators can then prioritize shipments, refuse carrier requests, or they can configure prioritization rules and constraints to automate the scheduling process.
- An electronic history (audit trail) of all appointment changes and related communication can be easily accessed by carriers and vendors.
- Carriers, vendors and warehouse staff can receive email notifications at different milestones within the delivery appointment booking process. These notifications can include information on when appointments are rescheduled or refused; shipments are ready for pickup; if items are damaged; or when carriers are a no-show.
- Integration with Descartes Transportation Manager or other third-party transportation management software applications means carriers can simultaneously accept tenders and book appointments, automatically assign doors for both inbound/ outbound loads, and plan routes based on dock door availability.
- Integration with Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) allows customers to electronically prepare receiving activities and allocate physical resources to unload, validate and accept the shipment into either their DC or cross dock.
- Recurring appointments can be created for high-volume carriers and suppliers. The ability to block off time windows for recurring appointments ensures a level of consistency for supply chain partners that deliver on a regular basis.
- Daily and weekly reports turn historical appointment information into actionable data that retailers can use to measure execution against plan; and ensure carriers and suppliers are meeting compliance standards.
- With Descartes Yard Management™, shipping and receiving staff, gate guards and yard jockeys can more effectively manage the movement of trailers. They can measure trailer aging, keep track of inventory in the yard and report on on-time, on-premise for loading and unloading carriers. This includes planning and recording trailer moves, inspections and security seal changes, and maintaining an audit trail for loss prevention and government compliance programs like C-TPAT.
- Retailers can maintain an audit trail of compliance incidents, related documents and follow-up communication for effective online dispute resolution. Chargebacks to carriers or suppliers can also be managed.
With greater visibility into inbound shipments, you can better manage inventory levels, minimize wait times for load/unload activities and return trips, increased warehouse efficiency by reducing peak resource requirements, regularly analyze data to uncover process improvement opportunities, and reduce congestion by limiting idling in the yard while waiting for a dock door to become available.
To compliment your Descartes Dock Appointment Scheduling solution, the Descartes Transportation Manager™ solution helps logistics professionals quickly evaluate money-saving transportation and shipping options, and then execute those shipments with contract carriers. Built to accommodate the end-to-end supply chain management process, the Descartes Transportation Management System (TMS) also supports order management through consolidation, financial settlement and auditing.